Thursday, February 08, 2007

unusual TV scoring choices rule

Just thought it was interesting that last night, out of all the songs that they could have closed the show with, American Idol used Steve Harley's "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)." This was apparently a #1 hit in the UK in '75 (thanks, Allmusicguide), but it's pretty obscure in the States, and I hardly remembered where it was from when it appeared on the show. I wracked my brain for several minutes going through the possibilities, thinking of various British acts who either recorded in the early '70s or can evoke such a period. Elliot Murphy? That's not it. Badly Drawn Boy? Maybe someone like him with a recent record that I've barely ever played? I suddenly was able to connect it to the closing credits of Velvet Goldmine, and pulled my soundtrack CD, which I've probably played twice. Sure enough, that was it. I guess the lesson here is, given a little wiggle room, the people who score television shows still show depth of knowledge, taste and smarts. I'll remember this later in the year when you're pushing this year's equivalent to Daniel Powter on AI, or scoring 4 wordless minutes of some failing drama with Jeff Buckley's horrific rendition of "Hallelujah."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home